Sunday, November 9, 2014

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.

This is my second official blog post and since I have mistakenly deleted the first, I feel I should re-introduce myself. My name is Ed, I’m into my 30’s, I like to ride bikes, eat good food and drink good drink. My plan is to become an amateur photographer and semi-professional blogger. I will share my bicycling adventures paired with pre-present-and-post-ride-eats-and-drinks, for your amusement. People say I'm known to randomly go off topic. Cheers.

So I went on a bike ride with my brother-in-law Saturday and I had nothing to give. Let me explain.

It’s November, average highs in the 40s; I haven’t spent any serious time on the bike for maybe 3-weeks. During this cold dark season, I put my bike [Cannondale CAAD10-5] on a Cyclops trainer in the living room. I haven’t touched it. It sits there mocking me. I’m getting fat and lazy from not laying down the “V”. Also, I was out of town on business the last couple of days, eating like crap, not sleeping, and I hit the hotel gym way too hard. I went for a 3-mile run, worked in some sprints, and squats-- I’m still sore.

The morning of the ride, which I was not planning on, I ate breakfast with my son and dad. Three generations converged onto the Tim Horton’s. I ordered a turkey sausage sandwich, coffee-black, for myself, Milk and maple oatmeal for the toddler. Dad ordered a breakfast sandwich, coffee, and a chocolate donut. After sitting down to eat I noticed there is a bold coffee offering, which I would have liked to know before ordering; thanks Tim. I help with the oatmeal and we all split the donut. Did I say I’ve been eating like crap? We go back to my dad’s house and I surf the bike section on Craigslist. I have found my salvation on the Internet.. A SPIN BIKE! It’s quite enough to use when the kid is sleeping, [I tell myself this is the main reason for not riding the trainer]. I email the guy and we arrange a 10:30 meet-up.



Suddenly I get a call from my brother-in-law, “want to go for a bike ride?” Well, I have excuses which include picking up the spinbike, my soreness, the coldness but he convinces me anyway. We meet back at my house and go pick up the spinbike together. The buddy system is a best practice when it comes to responding to Craigslist ads. We show up to the guys house, nice neighborhood, the bikes in his basement. Pay the guy, get out, get home, tear down the trainer, set up the spinbike, mess with it for a while, put cold-gear on, fill up tires, and go.

We decide to ride to Green Lakes State Park. A mere 17-miles away. There would be 666 ft of elevation in the last few miles. Some decent climbs there in Fayetteville. Here’s a picture of our route, 34-miles total.



I was a dog, could not keep pace, Nick pulled me the whole time, I was dehydrated or bike wasn’t working right, or just weak. Anyway we finished up that ride. And it was time to eat. We are both starving and need calories stat. I whipped up some tuna fish sandwiches quick and paired that with Ovaltine; more Ovaltine please.

Recipe makes 2-sandwichs:

2- Cans of Bumblebee Tono in Olive Oil
2-Tbsp of Hellman’s Mayo
4-slices of whole wheat bread
Decent helping of whole leaf lettuce
Pepper to taste

475 calories, 37g protein, 29g carb, 22.5g fat – per sandwich

Hopefully I make a swift recovery, get some training and kick some ass up those hills next time. Thanks for checking out my blog.


Peace, I’m outta here.


~Ed [a.k.a three bikes]

No comments:

Post a Comment